Emergency Grant Application
Applications for aid are screened by the Social Butterflies Foundation Emergency Grant Committee who evaluate according to defined criteria.
• Grant requests will be accepted on behalf of any medically diagnosed person with lupus and/or fibromyalgia residing within the following cities:Newport News, Hampton, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, Suffolk, Poquoson, York, Williamsburg, Harrisonburg, Waynesboro,Staunton, and Charlottesville. The grantee must be 19 years of age or older and offer satisfactory evidence that lupus and/or fibromyalgia has been medically diagnosed including physician’s verification (Medical Release Form).
• The Social Butterflies Foundation financial grant MUST BE directly related to the treatment of lupus and/or fibromyalgia ora “lupus/fibromyalgia-related” emergency. Grant requests are not accepted for rent, mortgage, or car payments.
• Applicants must identify the need and demonstrate how a grant will either fully cover the need or supplement personal or provider resources. Approved grants will be paid directly to the agency or provider.
• Grant requests must be exhaustive – requests will not be considered if assistance is available through ANY other sources (other organizations, government agencies, health insurance coverage).
• Grants are limited to one per 12-month period.
Examples of Financial Need:
Purchase of necessary prescribed medications or drugs (on physician’s orders), durable medical equipment rental or purchase, rental or purchase of personal care items designed to improve functioning of the grantee in activities of daily living (eyeglasses, hearing aids, specialized telephone equipment,adaptive living devices, adaptive clothing, etc.), temporary subsidy for emergency and non-recurring personal or living expenses to support the grantee’s own efforts (created by sudden loss of job, loss of disability benefits, awaiting public assistance grants, awaiting other government grants or awards, personal trauma or tragedy, overwhelming medical expenses, etc.)
Click the document link below to get a printable version of the grant application. Please complete fully and and return the application to:
Social Butterflies Foundation | Attention: EGP
P.O. Box 1652 | Newport News, VA 23601